Have you ever felt tongue-tied or had your mind blank in the middle of a conversation? You’re not alone.
In this episode of Punk Rock HR, communication expert Matt Abrahams joins Laurie to discuss strategies for succeeding in high-stakes communication situations. Matt’s book, Think Faster, Talk Smarter: How to Speak Successfully When You’re Put on the Spot, serves as the foundation for their discussion.
They delve into the science behind creating messages that resonate with audiences and the power of speech variation to maintain their attention. This isn’t just another conversation about speaking skills; it’s a guide to mastering techniques that can transform anyone into a communication pro. Matt and Laurie also discuss how to handle the nervousness that can come with important communication events, from revealing HR policies to pitching business ideas to difficult audiences. They cover methods such as controlled breathing, focus grouping, and avoiding filler words.
Their discussion also addresses the fine line between authenticity and performance. By the end of the episode, listeners will be equipped with a range of tools and tips to present with confidence in any high-stakes communication setting.
Plug in and prepare to level up your communication skills and possibly your entire approach to engaging with others.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Strategies from Think Faster, Talk Smarter for improving engagement by tailoring messages and varying speech
- Overcoming the myth that effective communication is innate
- Effective communication is an acquirable skill applicable in various speaking situations
- Techniques for conveying ideas to skeptical audiences and managing anxiety, like controlled breathing and palm cooling
- Authenticity in communication
- How focusing on connecting rather than performing leads to more genuine interactions
- Exploring the “Talk Smarter” method, a six-step approach that includes mindset shifts and message structuring for spontaneous speaking
- Practical tips on anxiety management and effective communication, such as focus grouping, removing hedging language, and practicing delivery
- Listening well by giving pace, space, and grace to understand and respond to communication in the moment fully
Resources from this Episode
- Visit Matt Abrahams’ website: MattAbrahams.com
- Connect with Matt on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/maabrahams
- Get Matt’s book: amzn.to/48NKpub
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.