There are two ways to deal with someone you don’t like at work (or life).
- Tell him. Try to fix it.
- Don’t tell him. Don’t try to fix it.
There are a million ways to screw this up.
- Tell the person. Then never give him an opportunity to fix his mistakes.
- Don’t tell him. Tell everybody else.
- Tell everyone how gracious and forgiving you are while not behaving that way.
- Stay in the safe zone of bitter silence.
- Ignore his attempts to make things right.
- Be suspicious.
- Write passive-aggressive blog posts.
- Publish mysterious tweets.
- Pretend you like the person … but then stab him in the back.
- Create a narrative where you’re both the victim and the hero.
I could go on and on because I have been on both sides of that list (at work & in life).
You don’t have to be friendly with everybody you meet. If you don’t like someone, be an adult and move on.