Let’s Fix Work Episode 85
Have you ever parked your car, checked Twitter, and were still in the car 10 minutes later? Have you ever woken up in the morning only to check your Smartphone and think—What the hell am I doing? You’re not alone. In fact, I’ve just described myself. At times, it feels like I am addicted to technology. My guest today is Adam Alter, an Associate Professor of Marketing at NYU Stern School of Business and author of the book, Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked.
Technology is irresistible, and this alluring temptation is all around us. The devices we use on a daily basis have been designed to make us rely on them and want more interactions from others using devices. Professor Adam Alter is here to speak truth to power and help modify our addictive technology behaviors. And I have to tell you this message is timely. So if you have any issues related to technology and want to adjust your behaviors, sit back and listen to today’s episode of Let’s Fix Work.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- Behavioral addictions and their consequences
- The rise in tech addictions and how to manage in a tech-heavy world
- The need for self-leadership in resolving the issues with tech addictions
- How employees are judged for their efficiency and new ways to convey their efficiency moving forward
- What consumers are demanding out of their tech and their concerns about addiction
- Economic classes and the current role of technology
- Some solutions for limiting our exposure to tech
- The motives driving us to utilize technology