Punk Rock HR Episode 110:
Podcasting is a little bit of art, a little bit of science, and a lot of hard work. Today, HR podcasters, Wendy Dailey and Jon Thurmond, hosts of the HR Social Half Hour Podcast, join me on the show. If you’ve ever wanted to know what it takes to host a podcast about Human Resources, buckle up because this episode is for you.
In their podcast, Wendy and Jon talk to ordinary individuals working in the trenches of Human Resources, who are doing extraordinary things. Wendy and Jon are two examples of humans doing it right, so I invited them to come on to Punk Rock HR. They give us a behind the scenes look into their podcast, which inspires them to keep going, and how community is the driving force in everything they do. I respect what Wendy and Jon are doing. I think at the end of this conversation, you may admire them too.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How the name HR Social Half Hour Podcast was born out of a Twitter Chat, and why the word social is so important to show’s online culture.
- “What’s in your glass?”, why Wendy and Jon begin their podcast episodes with this simple question, every single time.
- Podcasting as a gateway to networking, connecting with others, being intentional, and sharing ideas.
- Jon and Wendy share some of their favorite guests and episodes, including an interview with Melanie Peacock and Minda Harts.
- HR Social Half Hour focuses on community and community activities; Jon and Wendy share what they are doing to knit the HR community together using the podcast.
- What community has meant to each of them, how it sustains them, especially now during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Some lessons about podcasting for anybody who is dreaming about starting a podcast.
Resources from this episode:
HR Social Half Hour on Twitter – #HRSocialHour chat on Twitter