Punk Rock HR Episode 123:
Carl Camden is the former CEO of Kelly Services and the current president of iPSE-U.S. He has dedicated more than 25 years of his life to advocating for the independent workforce. This has looked like creating career opportunities and seeking justice for independent workers by challenging leaders to adapt to the future of work.
In 2017 Carl assembled industry leaders, House members from both parties, and association leaders for an exclusive D.C. event. This eventually became the genesis for iPSE-U.S. Today, this organization partners with a variety of other companies to provide the protection that corporations offer to their employees for independent workers.
In this episode, we talk about the differentiation between full-time workers and the gig economy and how often that differentiation turns people into second-class citizens. We also talk about the third rail of work, health-insurance benefits, and how iPSE-U.S. helps make it accessible to contractors. The gig economy covers everybody from Ph.D. scientists to delivery drivers and it could include you. So, if you have any interest in the topic, listen to my conversation with Carl.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How Carl got to where he is today.
- Where we are today in the world of work.
- What Carl is doing to advocate for independent workers today.
- How independent workers are treated differently in the workplace.
- Independent work within marginalized communities.
- Carl’s prediction regarding breakthroughs in this area in the next generation.
Resources from this episode: