Here are 9 steps to streamline the hiring process.
- Don’t lose anybody. Make sure your good people don’t quit.
- Don’t hire stupid people. Then you don’t have to fire anybody.
- Use the internet. People look for jobs on the web.
- Read the resumes people send you. I bet there’s a winner in there.
- When someone hands you a referral, follow up on it. Yeah, this is important.
- When you ask someone to interview for a job, maybe knock out a few interviews for that person at once. Nobody likes taking time off their current job and driving back-and-forth for seventeen interviews.
- Check references like it’s your job. It is your job. Get moving.
- Make a decent offer. Nothing like the “lowball dance” that goes on for a week to slow things down.
- Schedule the start date ASAP. No, the employee can’t start in 45 days after she gives notice and takes a big vacation. That won’t work. That never works.
For more insightful tips like these, talk to a recruiter or human resources professional who’s been doing this job for more than a hot minute. Amazing how the basics are always basics.