Punk Rock HR Episode 124:
Today’s guest is author and podcaster Mimi Nicklin. She is the author of Softening the Edge, a book all about empathy and how humanity’s oldest leadership trait is changing our world. Mimi believes that the ability to connect authentically with others has the power to shape not only our business environments but every part of our lives.
Michelle Obama recently gave a speech and said that there is an empathy deficit among many people in power in our country. I feel that truth in my bones. Empathy is something so primal, yet so hard to achieve. Mimi’s big ideas drive the conversation around empathy into the world, which is why I brought her onto the show today.
In this episode, Mimi and I talk about empathy. We discuss what it is, what it isn’t, and how you actually put empathy into practice at work. If you wonder how seeing someone’s perspective can help you be a better leader, listen in to this conversation with Mimi.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- A simple definition of empathy.
- How to overcome the empathy deficit in our world.
- Where to go to add more empathy into the world.
- What it would look like to implement empathy training in an organization.
- Why listening is so important.
- How to balance the need for speed with the need to be seen and heard.
- How to control your microcosms to create a ripple effect in your company’s culture.
- Why Mimi is passionate about empathy.
Resources from this episode: