Punk Rock HR Episode 133:
In case you haven’t heard, I have a new book coming out called Betting On You: How to Put Yourself First and Finally Take Control of Your Career. The journey of writing a book has been both straightforward and surprising. Throughout each step of the process, something happened to my health or my family, making it a journey for sure.
The easiest part of it all is writing the book; the business of publishing, on the other hand, is extremely complex. Beyond the many surface-level considerations, there’s the whole secondary market of getting your books into the hands of people.
So that is what we’re talking about on the podcast today. I brought on my dear friend and Hall of Fame keynote speaker and author, Scott Stratten. Scott is the founder of The UnMarketing Movement and a true marketing genius. He has been where I am now, at the beginning of a book launch. So, this episode will be a good old-fashioned mentoring conversation. Tune in and I know you’ll learn something, too.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- What the favor economy is and why it’s breaking my heart right now.
- Some of the sketchy ways books are sold today.
- What nominations really mean.
- Why it’s so critical to figure out your end goal when writing a book.
- All the work that actually goes into making a book.
- One thing about the book publishing process that has surprised Scott.
Resources from this episode: