Punk Rock HR Episode 108:
David Burkus is one of the world’s leading business thinkers and speakers, focusing on topics such as leadership and innovation. He’s also the best-selling author of an audiobook called Pick a Fight: How Great Teams Find a Purpose Worth Rallying Around. I like a good battle. I love a good cause too. So David is on the podcast this week because I am someone who is motivated by a fight.
In his book, David asks great questions like, “As an organization, what are we fighting for?” Or “What are you doing to change the world? And why are you doing it?” It’s such a great perspective to have, especially in the age of a pandemic. If you’re not fighting for something, if you don’t know your purpose or your mission, what are you doing? So if you are looking for some motivation, want to think about your job in a more significant way or find your purpose, I think you’re going to enjoy this conversation with my friend David Burkus.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why David decided to release his book, Pick a Fight, as an audiobook only and some of the challenges he’s hit up against in doing so.
- The difference between having a purpose and having a mission statement.
- How to creatively think about what the big battle is and break people from complacency, getting them excited to fight.
- David’s TEDx Talk: Why you should know how much your coworkers get paid was genius. He shares what it was about and how it was received.
- How to have mature conversations about mission or purpose.
- How artifacts symbolize or reinforce an organization’s story, Savannah Bananas, is a perfect example of this.
- Why picking a fight and having a purpose will allow you to return home a more energized person than you were when you left.
Resources from this episode: