Let’s Fix Work Episode 81
One of the crowning jewels in the life here in North Carolina is the N.C. State Fair. I’ve lived in a lot of places. I’ve bounced around a lot. I’ve even lived abroad. Up until the time I moved down to Raleigh, I had never been to a state fair. I didn’t know what I had been missing. Let me tell you, the N.C. State Fair is an interesting intersection of agriculture industry, artistry, high fat, and high fructose corn syrup food.
Today, I’m talking to Heather Overton, Assistant Director of Communications for the N.C. State Fair Press Office and our go to concierge for the N.C. State Fair. So how does this mega-event come together? What’s it all about? Why do people keep coming back? What makes the N.C. state fair so special? Heather will be helping us answer all of these questions and more. So if you like fried food, livestock competitions, or landscape exhibits and are interested in learning how it all comes together, then sit back and listen to this episode of Let’s Fix Work.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- What’s new in 2019 at the N.C. State Fair and what makes it such an important event
- The philosophy behind the Fair pivoting away from Hollywood-type acts and moving towards local entertainment instead
- The Fair as a unifying force in the community
- All about the food: what’s new, what’s exciting and what’s returning. Plus, Food Lion Hunger Relief Day
- N.C. State Fair staff, who puts it on, how it’s run and the planning cycle
- Reflecting on the Fair and how it is rooted in North Carolina’s agricultural industry and history