Punk Rock HR Episode 100:
People keep saying that we’re living in an unprecedented era of disruption. While this is new for us, humankind has lived through war, pestilence, plagues, and we have persevered. We persevere because we hustle, and we move quickly. We think about innovative solutions, but we also rely on our community. So when a member of my community told me about Lorna Borenstein and the work she is doing to help in this time of crisis, I knew I needed to have her on the podcast. She is a business owner, an entrepreneur, and is at the epicenter of helping people do their best work and feel great at a time when that’s under assault.
Lorna Borenstein is the founder and CEO of a well-being company called Grokker. Her company has created a platform where credentialed experts can offer videos and teach people how to live better. They focus on five aspects of well-being; fitness, mental health, sleep, nutrition, and financial wellness. Up until last week, Grokker was not available to everyone; it was only open to organizations and companies looking to promote wellness to their workforce. But Lorna and her colleagues are now offering all videos free to consumers and businesses during the COVID-19 outbreak. It’s a pretty special thing when someone can jump in and ask, “What can I do in this moment of crisis?” Lorna is someone doing just that.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why Lorna created Grokker and why she decided to make the platform free to businesses and individuals during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- We discuss the type of content and videos you can find on the platform.
- Lorna shares why she believes older generations are becoming more comfortable using technology and therefore, will have easy entry into utilizing videos found on Grokker.
- Some thoughts around poverty and accessibility in isolation.
- We answer the question, “How can working parents chill out right now?”
- Lorna describes the COVID-19 Preparedness Program, which is now available for access.
WHAT IS GROKKER?
Grokker is a video platform that offers high-quality well-being available to everyone, anywhere, anytime, on any device. Lorna and her team have made Grokker available for free to individuals and businesses through April 30th, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
WHAT IS THE COVID-19 PREPAREDNESS COURSE?
Lorna and her team of well-being experts at Grokker have produced a complimentary COVID-19 Coronavirus Preparedness program. It consists of three videos that cover topics such as symptoms and precautions, preventing the spread of COVID-19, as well as managing stress and well-being.
I AM A WORKING PARENT WORKING FROM HOME WITH MY KIDS. HOW CAN I CHILL OUT?
Lorna had some tips and ideas for parenting during this difficult time.
- First, she said, focus on establishing a new routine. “If you talk to any of the leading psychologists, they will tell you it is very, very important when you have been shifted out of your normal routine; to establish a new routine and new schedule. So yes, you are no longer going to school, you’re no longer going to your place of work. But you have to establish a new routine so that things don’t feel quite so amorphous,” Lorna says.
- Second, be sure you are addressing anxiety. Here’s more from Lorna, “The second thing that we need to pay attention to is how do you address the anxiety you have? Well, first, acknowledge it. We are feeling the anxiety, and we can’t just sweep it under the rug.”
HOW CAN I REDUCE MY STRESS AND ANXIETY DURING THIS PANDEMIC?
One of the topics covered in Grokker’s COVID-19 Preparedness course includes how to manage your anxiety. Lorna shared some anxiety-reducing strategies such as:
- Positive self-talk
- Practice Mindfulness
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques
- And maintaining routines
“Learning mindfulness tips to be able to manage anxiety is key,” says Lorna. She also stressed that you shouldn’t be shy or embarrassed about using these tools. We’re all going through this together and need some way to calm our stress and anxiety.
Resources from this episode:
Grokker – Free for Business
Grokker – Free for Individuals
New COVID-19 Preparedness Program
Lorna on LinkedIn
Lorna on Twitter
Grokker on Twitter
Laurie on Instagram
Laurie on LinkedIn
Read more from Laurie
Work with Laurie