Let’s Fix Work Episode 80
Have you heard of Lil Bub? If not, let me introduce you to her. She is a published author, a talk show host, a movie star, and has helped raise well over $300,000 for animals in need. In 2011, she went viral and became an internet sensation. Oh yeah, and she’s a cat.
Yes, you read that correctly. Lil Bub is a special needs cat, in fact. She suffers from an extreme form of dwarfism, making her a permanent kitten with stubby legs, no teeth and the inability to use the litter box on her own. So her owner, Mike Bridavsky, helps her with everything, including running the day-to-day business of Lil BUB.
Alright, you may be wondering what an amazing cat and her owner have to do with my podcast. Well, they are a fascinating example of using work to help make the world a better place. So I went down to Bloomington, Indiana, to learn everything I could about the work and business of Lil Bub. And of course, I wanted to meet Lil Bub too. She did not disappoint. So if you’re interested in the business of Lil Bub or what it’s like to have an internet-famous cat, sit tight and listen to this episode of Let’s Fix Work.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- The story of how Mike and Lil Bub met and how she became a very special part of Mike’s life
- How and when Mike realized he had a famous cat on his hands and how he felt about the internet fame
- Lil Bub’s purpose through the eyes of Mike
- What Lil Bub has taught Mike when it comes to caring for a cat with special needs and how what he has learned can be applied to his business
- How Lil Bub and Mike have been able to donate $700k to charities
- How Mike learned to maneuver through the complexities and legalities of building off of Lil Bub’s internet fame to create a business that helps charities
- Is the internet all bad? Mike answers my question, “Are there glimmers of hope through the internet?”
- Mike talks about multitasking, running a music production studio, and what he is doing to get the balance right
Resources from this episode: